Thursday, February 08, 2007

Two lemon chess pie recipes

I've been researching lemon chess pie recipes after my husband tried a piece at a restaurant and loved it. The first recipe I tried, he didn't care for. It was a traditional lemon chess pie with cornmeal in it, the pie at the restaurant was creamy.

I made this first recipe and it was much more like the creamy pie he had eaten. I'm going to try the second recipe for him soon. It also looks very interesting.

I used a frozen pie crust. I know how to make a pie crust and I do when I don't have a store bought crust handy. However, when my mother-in-law (who was famous for her pie crust) started using Pillsbury crusts...I was no longer guilty for going the quick route myself.

LEMON CHESS PIE

1/2 c. butter
1 c. sugar
5 eggs
1/2 c. lemon juice
9" pie shell

Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add lemon juice and mix thoroughly. Pour into pie shell. Bake in moderate oven (375 degrees) for 30 minutes.

It was still quite "wiggly" when I took it out of the oven. I put it in my garage to cool (it's VERY cold in my garage right now) and it firmed up nicely. We found it was better after sitting in the frig for awhile and it was better when served with whipped cream on top. Yeah, this is not a low fat dessert!

From: Cooks.com

Lemon Chess Pie

Recipe courtesy of Biltmore Estate's Deerpark Restaurant, Asheville, N.C.

Ingredients:

1/2 pkg. (15-oz.) refrigerated pie crusts
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 Tbs. flour
5 large eggs
1/2 tsp. freshly grated lemon rind
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup melted butter
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
whipped cream

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place one of the pie crusts in a 9-inch pie plate. Flute edges and set aside.

Combine both sugars and flour in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating at medium speed of an electric mixer until blended. Add lemon rind, lemon juice, melted butter and nutmeg. Mix well.

Pour pie filling into the prepared pie crust. Bake on lower rack of a 325-degree oven for 45 minutes. Dollop each wedge with whipped cream when the pie is cool enough to cut and serve.

Yield: One 9" pie

From: HGTV

No comments: