Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Soft Lemon Scones

A few years ago when I went to a tea room in Virginia with "My Girls" (my daughter and granddaughters), we were served the most delicious soft scones.

These are very similar to the lovely scones we ate that day.  They go together very easily and as with all such items, the least you work with them the more tender they are.  (Note: I have frozen these unbaked and popped them into a preheated oven frozen to bake when I  needed them, just add more baking time.)


Ingredients
  • 2 Cups all purpose Flour
  • 1/3 Cup Sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 teaspoon Lemon Peel, Finely Grated
  • 1 Cup Whipping Cream
  • 2 - 4 Tablespoons Water
Glaze:
  • Juice of one Lemon
  • 2 -3 Cups powdered Sugar
  • A little extra water (maybe)

 
Instructions
  1. 375* oven.
  2. Combine Flour, Sugar, Baking Powder, and Salt, and Lemon Peel.
  3. With a fork, stir in Cream and only as much Water as needed to make dough form into a ball.
  4. Pat kneaded dough into 8" circle.
  5. Slice into wedges and place wedges on parchment paper (or greased) cookie sheet.
  6. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until just beginning to turn a little brown.
  7. Remove to wire rack to cool.
Mix together powdered sugar and lemon juice, adding about a tablespoon of water at a time until you get the consistency of glaze you desire.  Drizzle over slightly warm or cool scones.

Use two cups powdered sugar for a thin glaze, three cups if you want a thicker glaze which is what I did.  For a really lemony glaze, use juice from a second lemon (the zest of the second lemon can be added to the scone mix along with the first if you desire).

Added:  Lately I have been rolling these out gently and cutting them with a fluted biscuit cutter.  We found we like them this way when not adding any additional item like a jam or lemon curd.

I found the original link for this scone here and I tweaked it:

5 comments:

Heather Anne said...

Yum! I'll have to give these a try soon ... like tomorrow?

Teresa said...

I just pinned this on my Pinterest. I love lemon, and I love scones. I have never had Lemon Scones though. These sound great and I plan to make them. Perfect recipe for spring!!

Mary said...

Making these now! I could not resist. Thanks for the recipe, Brenda :)

Jane Rattray said...

These were so delicious today at our tea. I will be making them soon .

Kathy T. said...

I made these today.....they were so yummy!! Thanks for the recipe :) 😍