Thursday, March 19, 2009

Chocolate Cherry Cake



This is an old recipe that I only recently started making again. Everyone I know loves it.

If you are in a hurry, you can make the cake as usual and use a canned chocolate frosting.  It won't be the exact same but it will still be good.

Chocolate Cherry Cake

1 Package chocolate cake mix*
1 can cherry pie filling (a little water if needed)
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon almond extract or vanilla

Combine all ingredients (I use a heavy wooden spoon). The cherries will break apart but that's fine. If needed, put two tablespoons of water in the cherry pie filling can and stir to incorporate some of the cherry "sauce". Add that to the mixture at the same time as you add everything else. The cans are smaller than they used to be and I think the water helps but it isn't necessary.

Grease a 9 x 13 pan (I spray with Pam or something similar) and bake at 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes. In my oven, it needs the entire 30 minutes.

While baking, make the frosting:

FROSTING *

1 Cup sugar
1/3rd Cup milk
5 Tablespoons butter

Let melt together on medium heat and then bring to a boil for about 30 seconds. Take off heat.

Add:

1 heaping cup mini marshmallows
1 heaping cup good quality chocolate chips
1 heaping cup good quality white chocolate chips (optional, but good)

Stir together until smooth. If it sets up a little before the cake is finished, just stir it again really good.

Pour over the hot cake (when it comes out of the oven). Let cool completely before you try to cut it.

I actually like this cake refrigerated and served cold but it also is just fine to serve at room temperature. It's one of those cakes that is even better one or two days after it is made.

* I have increased these ingredients before by 1/2 to make a thicker fudge frosting (using one stick of butter).

**If you like the taste of dark chocolate, use a Devils Food cake mix. I prefer a regular chocolate, milk chocolate, or even a German Chocolate mix as I'm not as fond of dark chocolate as some members of my family. :)

4 comments:

Vee said...

Now this really does sound good...I'm going to have to give it a try soon. Your recipe is making me wonder if making a dump cake using the cherries and a chocolate cake might not work real well, too. Sadly, my pantry doesn't include any chocolate cake mixes at this time. Thanks for telling me about this one!

Teresa said...

This sounds delicious and looks so easy. My daughter and her family may be by over the weekend. Guess what I will have on hand? :-)

Teresa said...

I did make this a few weeks ago and took it to work. They loved it. This cake is amazingly delicious. The recipe for this cake is now a permanent part of my recipe box. Thank you!

Beth said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I made this cake today and oh my word....it's delicious!