Friday, March 23, 2007

Joan's Chicken Tetrazzini

It may sound strange but when my sister, Joan (pronounced Jo-Anne), was on her death bed, I looked up suddenly at my other two sisters and panicked. Did anyone get her tetrazzini recipe? Sigh...really.

However, my sisters understood exactly why I would panic for Joan was famous for this particular recipe. (She had been ill for many, many years so her passing was a blessing for her, as hard as it was for the rest of us.)

Yes...my oldest sister had made certain Joan gave it to her. This is the way it was given so I hope you can figure it out. It is fattening, rich, decadent...and delicious.

Joan's Chicken Tetrazzini


Remove giblets and "boil" 2 whole fryers. Add salt, cool and debone. Save stock.

Cut and saute the following in stick of oleo (butter or margarine for those with no Southern relatives):

2 sticks celery, 1 large onion, and 1 green bell pepper.

Boil 8 ounce pkg. thin spaghetti in chicken broth.

Make white sauce: 1 pint milk, 1 stick oleo, 1/2 cup flour.

Add to white sauce: 1 lb. Velveeta cheese, 1 can Cream of Chicken soup.

Mix all ingredients and divide into lightly greased baking dish. (Joan put it at least three smallish casserole dishes.)

Crumble one box Keebler's Ched's* crackers. Mix with one stick melted oleo. Spread over top of casserole.

Bake at 350 degrees until bubbly for 35-45 minutes. Can be frozen and baked later.

This makes a lot!

*I use Ritz Crackers instead but it does make it taste slightly different.

There you have it, a family treasure. I don't hold myself responsible for any weight gain or other health issues. :)

No comments: