Thursday, September 14, 2006

Cheesy Brat Stew and Oatmeal/Cherry/Toffee Cookies

Here are two more of my recipes transferred from my regular blog. The cheesy brat stew is one of my son's favorite meals. He burns off all calories! The cookie recipe is a former Martha Stewart "Cookie of the Week". I used to make it only at Christmas but now I make it more often (dried cherries are cheaper than they used to be).

Cheesy Brat Stew

1 1-lb. Polish Sausage
I use Polish Sausage but original recipe was 6 fully cooked Brats
4 medium potatoes, cooked, peeled and cubed
1 16-ounce can cut green beans, drained
1 103/4-ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
I have also used an 8 oz. pkg. of Velveeta when I was out of cheese
1 small onion, chopped

Combine everything and place in a 3 quart casserole. If I'm substituting Velveeta, I combine it first with the soup and then add the remaining ingredients.

Bake covered in a 350 oven for about 45 minutes or untill heated through.

Makes 8 servings unless you are serving my guys.

Honest, I usually do cook healthier meals but this is one of their comfort foods.


Oatmeal/Cherry/Toffee Cookies


1 1/2 C. flour
1 t. baking soda
1 C. butter, room temperature
3/4 C. granulated white sugar
3/4 C. brown sugar
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
1 C. each: dried cherries, chocolate chips, Skor's toffee bits
1 1/2 C. oatmeal

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sift flour and baking soda. Cream butter, sugar, egg and vanilla. Combine with flour mixture.
Add oatmeal, then dried cherries, chocolate chips and toffee.

Drop by teapoons on cookie sheet and bake 8-10 min.*

*The original recipe called for the dough to be divided into three logs, rolled in plastic wrap, chilled, then sliced and baked. I found this caused the cookies to crumble but it did make it easy to freeze and bake later.

No comments: