Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Black Bean Burgers

This recipe is made with things I keep on hand, it mixes up quickly, and you can make it either mild tasting (like I did) or spicy (as the original recipe indicated) just by the kind of salsa you use.  I use mild salsa all the time, it is one of the pantry items I always try to keep well stocked.

Black Bean Burger

  • 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed (or 2 cups cooked dry beans)
  • 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1/2 cup flour (I used all purpose but they suggest oat flour or gluten free if necessary)
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons salsa
  • 1 tablespoon oil for pan (I needed more than that)

Mash black beans in a bowl with fork or potato masher (I used a ground beef masher).  Add the remaining ingredients except the oil and stir (or use your hands to mix like I did).  You may need to add more salsa if too dry and flour if it isn't holding together firmly (1 tablespoon at a time).

Form into 4 patties and brown in a skillet with oil on medium heat about five minutes the first side and three to four minutes the second side.  Black bean burgers burn easily so you do need to keep an eye on them.  

I served them without a bun, topped with extra salsa and chopped onions.  However, I have served black bean burgers I used to make from a mix as regular burgers and putting cheese on top.

These were delicious and while we do not eat vegan, your vegan friends will probably like them without any added dairy.  They are also gluten free if using the right flour and making certain the oats are gluten free (not processed where any gluten products are also processed).

The original recipe is from Jenn Sebestyen of the Veggie Inspired blog (and other social media).

1 comment:

Merri Mc Elderry said...

THANK YOU !!!! I am going to make these today!!!! Bless your day and thank you for your clear vision of GOD, and His goodness..... you are a glorious LIght for Truth and Love.. to show forth naturally . I wonder if you have some comments on the POPE FRANCIS visit to Canada and the residential school issues. I am Native in heart having worked for the Ojbwe for twelve yearsin the Ely Schools and they saved me ... giving me work and teaching me their ways.They got my son to the Blind School for the rest of his schooling in high school... free fomr severe judgment and bullying in Ely Schools. Then I just got married to a Native man in Albuquerque ..... and the Navaho Nation now my new family . I am blessed boy and my ever dreams , and I so love your posts of total beauty in God's leading your life.
I felt the Pope 's visit was a symbol of LOVE outpouring not just for Native Peoples but for all of us..... I had friends from the tribe who experienced those schools . their terrors and trying to separate children from their cultures, and homes. It was not just Catholics to did that but the governments at the time who play a part. The healing now going on in all of our cultures is God Given Grace. I feel. I am thankful to have this blog and your love of God to see daily or when you post.. healing the world . Lots of Love to your family and to the cat.. from my Spirit Cat Bart.. love from us all here to all there...Merri