Saturday, November 21, 2015

Granola


Simple Granola
  • 4 - 6 Cups old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 Cup or more nuts, finely chopped (optional)
  • 1 Cup dried fruit or more to taste*
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon* (optional)
  • 1/2 Cup honey (or more if you prefer it sweeter)
  • 1/3 Cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon* vanilla
Oven temperature at 350 degrees 



Mix oats, nuts, and cinnamon* (optional) in a large bowl.  Pour honey, vegetable oil, and vanilla* into another bowl or measuring cup and whisk together with a fork.  Pour the liquid mixture over the dried mixture and mix well.
You can also pour honey and vegetable oil into a small saucepan and warm it up a little.  Take off of heat and add vanilla.  This is especially useful if you use raw honey like I do as it tends to thicken a lot.

Line a large baking pan with foil or parchment paper and oil it well... or plan on scrubbing the baking pan!  I use a half sheet cake baking pan.  Pour the granola mixture onto the prepared pan and spread out evenly.
Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, checking a couple of times and gently stirring to keep it evenly browning.  I find a spatula works best for this.  As you get closer to 20 minutes, check until it is finished.  It should be toasted, not burned... and it burns quickly.
Take pan out of oven and sprinkle your dried fruit* on the hot mixture.  I have found this helps soften them nicely. The original recipe called for dried apples but I almost always have raisins and dried cranberries on hand so I use them.  Dried cherries or dried blueberries would be great, as would chopped dried apricots, etc.

Carefully pour into an airtight container.  To use as a
Holiday gift, pour into a cute container or Mason jar.

Variations:
* I sometimes make this without nuts and without cinnamon.  When I do, I use two Tablespoons of vanilla.  
* I like the variations of dried cherries with the vanilla and adding cinnamon with dried cranberries or dried blueberries.
* When I add nuts, I usually add pecans but walnuts are great, too.  I have added sunflower seeds.
* The original recipe calls for adding a cup of coconut to the dry mixture before adding the liquid.  This would be baked with the granola.  To make it even more tropical, dried pineapple or mangoes could be added after taking the granola out of the oven.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I'm printing this one out ... sounds yummy!