- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened*
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 graham cracker crust (9 inches)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional but good)
- 1-3/4 cups cold milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/3 cup instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped (or Cool Whip)
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Spoon into crust. Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- In a bowl, whisk the milk, vanilla and pudding mixes for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Spoon over the pecans. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Top with whipped cream and if desired, more chopped pecans. Yield: 8 servings.
While the pecans add interesting texture and great flavor, I have made the pie without them to save on cost.
The boxes of pudding (vanilla and chocolate) will make two pies. If I am just making the one pie, I tuck the two boxes in my pantry to use for another pie later.
Don't you love the name of this pie? It was one of their favorite restaurant recipes and the owner of the restaurant didn't know how it got its' name. Had to be a story there...