Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Homemade Nilla Wafers

These are a delicious homemade alternative to the box of Nilla Wafers from the store.  I made them a lot when Christopher was little and we had to be careful about additives from commercial products.

I'll add a picture soon.

1/2 Cup Butter, room temp
1 Cup Sugar (you could try 3/4 Cup first)
1 Egg
1 Tablespoon Vanilla (yes... that is Tablespoon)
1 1/3 Cup Flour
3/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Salt

Preheat oven to 350

Cream butter and sugar.  Beat in egg and vanilla.

Combine dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture.

Drop by 1/2 teaspoon for small cookies (1 teaspoon for a bigger cookie) on ungreased baking sheet.

Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until the edges of the cookie are slightly brown.

5 comments:

Shug said...

I am looking so forward to trying ths recipe... My grandchildren love vanilla wafers.

Love your blog.

Shug
Confessions of a razzle dazzle housewife

Renee said...

Hey I tried them and loved them!! I blogged them and added pix :) I linked back to you :)

Renee said...

http://homewiththree.blogspot.com/2010/07/homemade-vanilla-cookies.html

here is the link :)

librarian4 said...

I use Nilla Wafers all the time in many recipes. I had no idea you could make them. I am going to try this recipe for sure!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad to have found your recipe blog via your Coffee Tea Books and Me blog! Just yesterday my oldest daughter commented that the snack we were having would have been much better with homemade vanilla wafers. I told her I would see if I could find a recipe, and today I stumbled upon yours! Thank you so much :) .
Blessings,
Catherine