Saturday, March 06, 2010

Oriental chicken spareribs


I found this recipe in a Taste of Home magazine.  It has been tweaked just a bit (as indicated in recipe).

I served this with orzo but it would be great with rice or noodles, too.  Made for excellent leftovers (I mixed the leftover orzo with the main dish and stored them together in frig).

Oriental Chicken Spareribs
  • 3 pounds bone-in chicken thighs (about 8) (I used deboned thighs as that is what I had in freezer)
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 cup water
  • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2/3 cup soy sauce (I used 1/2)
  • 1/2 cup apple juice (I used 2/3 cup orange juice instead)
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (I used 1/2 t. but will use 1 t. next time)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch (I used flour)
  • 2 tablespoons cold water (more if using flour)

In dutch oven or large skillet with lid, brown chicken over medium heat in oil (in batches if necessary) on both sides, drain.

In large bowl, combine water, brown sugar, soy sauce, juice, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, pepper flakes, and ginger.  Pour over browned chicken.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes.

Remove chicken, combine cornstarch or flour and water, add to cooking juices and stir until thickened.  Add chicken back to pan to combine with sauce or just pour the sauce over the chicken on a platter.

This sauce recipe would be great with other meats, too!

* Since I used deboned chicken thighs, I slightly shredded the meat and added it back to the sauce.  You could do the same with bone in chicken thighs, too.  It would easily serve 8 instead of the original 4 people the recipe indicated.

3 comments:

Beth said...

My daughter Becca (almost 13) is doing an "Asian" theme throughout her 4H projects this year! She was wanting to make an Asian dish for "Food Preparation" so THIS one sounds just wonderful!! She's also doing a project on China for "Self Determined" and researching Siamese cats for her Cat project.(we are incorporating one of her home school projects into several 4-H projects!)
Thanks again!

Lydia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Madalina Stratone said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.