Thursday, August 20, 2009

Chocolate Zucchini Brownies

This recipe comes from one of my favorite cookbooks called The Amish Cook by Elizabeth Coblentz. It is delicious! It is more a cake texture than brownie. I'll add a picture soon.

Chocolate Zucchini Brownies

4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil*
1 1/2 to 2 cups sugar**
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Your favorite frosting if desired

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine the eggs, oil, and sugar in large bowl. In separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and cocoa. Slowly add flour mixture to sugar mixture.

Add the vanilla, zucchini, and nuts (if using) to the batter and mix thoroughly. Batter will be thick.

Spread into a 15 by 10 inch jelly roll pan. Bake for 25-30 min. until center is set.***

Cool and frost if desired (it is very good with a vanilla or cream cheese frosting). I also recently made it with a chocolate buttercream frosting for additional chocolaty flavory. :)

* Original recipe called for 1 1/2 cups oil but I found that made the brownies greasy. I tried 1 cup and found that much better.

** Original recipe called for 2 cups sugar but I've found 1 1/2 to be plenty.

*** I have made this in a 9 x 13 pan, just increase baking time... check after 35 minutes.

6 comments:

Beth said...

Yummy yummy yummy! This is just what I was looking for and will fix it tongiht! Thanks so much!

Karey Swan said...

Most all recipes I've found salt, sit, and sqeeze out zucchini moisture (sometimes rinsing too) before making anything with shredded zucchini. I think in the past I did both. So your bread isn't too wet?

And as to freezing corn in one of your past posts - an oldtimer mentor of mine who grew up on a farm never parboils her corn, just puts whole cob in freezer, so I've done that for years. Sometimes I'll parboil it if cutting off the kernals, but even then, sometimes I've just cut off and frozen.

Been making a sourdough zucchini bread lately.

Sharon Lovejoy said...

THANK YOU!!! So NOW I know how to use the bumper crop.

I also squeeze out the excess juices (put them into a piece of cheesecloth or a towel) and let them drain. Makes things much fluffier.

All joys to you-Sharon

Beth said...

I just wanted to tell you that I have made these brownies 2 times now and everyone loves them! I even posted a picture of them along with other pictures of things I've been doing lately! I'm very proud of my....that is...YOUR zucchini brownies!

Last night, my 12 year old stepson said that "we have never done things that way before..." because I was using the countertop to braid my homemade bread on. My husband jumped in to my defense and said, "Well, we've never put vegetables in our brownies before, either, have we?????" Everyone loves them...thanks again!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the zucchini recipes. I hope you will join me for Crock Pot Wednesdays at Diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com. My "blue" this week is part of a tribute to Julia Child. Hope to see you signed up with Mister Linky.

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

I just dropped by from Create Beauty... my first time visit. Funny thing, I found your chocolate zucchini brownie recipe and not more than 5 minutes ago chocolat4e zuccini cake is baking in my oven!

I recently started a food blog myself.... to try and gather some of my favourites in one spot. That particular blog is called It Tastes Good.

Glad I found you! I'm putting up on my sidebar.