Sunday, May 20, 2007

Quick and Easy "Quiche"

This looks like a souffle when it first comes out of the oven but it flattens to look more like a quiche. It's quick, it is easy, it is very good.

This is how I made it recently but I'll also show the original recipe:

Easy Quiche


1/2 lb. (or 1 lb) sausage
4 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
(I used a combination shredded cheddar and American)

4 eggs
1 1/2 C. milk (regular or soy milk)
1/2 C. flour
1/2 t. salt
2 T. melted butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Brown and drain the sausage. You can use a full pound if you want a meatier quiche but half a pound is fine.

Spoon into the bottom of a well greased 9" pie pan (I like Pyrex for this and I set it on a cookie sheet in case it drips over the side).

Whisk together the eggs, milk, flour, salt and melted butter. Pour over the sausage into the pie pan.

Bake 40 to 45 minutes. It will be "poofed" up but will settle soon. Let cool just a few minutes and slice into wedges.

The original recipe called for 1/4 C. chopped onion and 1/4 C. chopped mushroom sauteed in 1 T. oil to be added to ham or sausage.

I think it would taste great with just broccoli that has been steamed and well drained instead of meat, too.

2 comments:

ruthdemitroff said...

The last time I made quiche, I wondered what I could possibly put into it as I didn't have ham or sausage, I grabbed some walnut pieces as a replacement. If you like the taste of walnuts and are positive none of the potential eaters have a nut allergy, walnut pieces proved to be an excellent substitute for the meat.

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I will have to try that for my husband. He loves anything with nuts in it!