Friday, March 23, 2007

Oatmeal Cake


This is one of my husband's favorite cakes. It originally came from his mother, who has a Pennsylvania Dutch heritage. I've seen it in Amish cookbooks, too. I used to make this for him and then freeze big slices (wrapped in foil) for him to take with his lunch to work.

I think this cake tastes better the day after it is made. Makes a great picnic cake.

Oatmeal Cake
1 cup oatmeal
1 1/2 cups boiling water

1 stick butter (room temp)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour (I like to use 1 cup white and 1/2 cup whole wheat)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 taspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup raisins

Pour boiling water over oatmeal, let stand 20 minutes.

Cream sugar, butter, eggs. Sift dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture. Add oatmeal mix and raisins.

Pour into 9 x 13 pan (well greased) and bake 30 minutes. Frost while warm.

This cake was cut before it cooled so it fell apart.  :)

Frosting Recipe *
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
1/2 cup coconut

Mix together and spread on baked warm cake...carefully. May have to spoon it on at first. Place under broiler until it starts to bubble and gets ever so lightly browned. Watch carefully or it will BURN! Let cool before eating.

*I often double this frosting recipe.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

The cake sounds wonderful and I am having a little get together here this weekend and it may end up being a birthday cake. Thanks for sharing.

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I've made it for my husband's birthday before (since it has all the ingredients he loves).

Anonymous said...

this sounds like one I have that I havent' made in a long time, too long. It's yummy!!
Blessings
Patty H.