Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Key Lime Pie



This is one of my favorite pies to make because I can keep the ingredients on hand at all times in the pantry (and frig...and freezer). I prefer to use fresh whipped cream for the Key Lime pie but I often use Cool Whip for that very reason (I keep one or two small containers of Cool Whip in the freezer).

Also, I usually don't purchase many premade items. However, I always try to have a couple graham cracker crusts in my pantry. I like to buy the crusts that are a little bigger (they say two more servings on the label).

 
Key Lime Pie (my husband's favorite)
  • 1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1 lime's zest (optional, I don't add very often)
  • 1/2 C. key lime juice (check the asile where bottled lemon juice is sold)
  • 1 9" graham cracker crust
  • Cool Whip or whipped cream
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Whip together sweetened condensed milk and egg yolks for a couple of minutes. This is the real secret to a great texture. Add the key lime juice and zest (if you're using it). Whip another minute.

Pour into 9" graham cracker crust and bake 15 minutes. Let cool completely.

Either spoon a layer of Cool Whip on top or serve with whipped cream. Yum....

No comments: