Sunday, September 17, 2006

Indian Fry Bread


My daughter called for this recipe this afternoon. I thought I'd post it now, since it is already typed for sending in an e-mail.

I made this often when she was growing up. I still make it once in awhile. The recipe is inexpensive and makes a wonderful treat on a cool day. You just have to watch the little ones when frying and yourself (ask me how I know...ouch!).

Indian Fry Bread

4 C. flour
5 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 C. sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 package yeast (1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons bulk yeast)
2 C. warm water

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the water, work into flour mixture.

Pat the dough into approx. 1" thicknesses (any thicker and it doesn't cook in the middle) - use extra flour to avoid stickiness. Cut dough with 3" biscuit cutter.

Heat oil and when hot, fry pieces of dough until brown. Turn and fry the other side.

Do not let oil get too hot or bread will cook on the outside and be doughy on the inside.

Drain and immediately toss in either conf. sugar or a cinnamon-sugar mixture. (Or, it can be left plain and served with butter and jelly.)

There is no rising time in this recipe. They "puff" in the hot oil.

Note:  Recipe was from a newspaper article about the Feast of the Hunter's Moon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My son and I have been making this recipe for the last 3 years. We found it while doing research on a school project on the Quapaw tribe.

I add powdered sugar to mine. My neighbors love it when I make them since I do share all my bake goods.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful day you had...and love the photos..is that your little one with the tiny moccasins ..adorable ...little one..and glad your eye is healing up now...looks like a loving day . I worked for the Mn Chippewa ( Ojibawe) for 13 years as their tutor teacher in Ely, Minnesota..we made the fry bread too...only they used one kind with the baking powder only and one kind with yeast...yours looks better..and love the powder sugar idea...Love to you ..thanks for posting all this I love your blogs all of themxx